Wannabe Scratch DJ needs help

Bay_Area_Kid

Hey eveyone im new to the whole turntablism thing and im sorry if i use some newbie words to describe some of the DJ products, anywho i want to start Scratching and i was wondering would be a good set up for a begginner ranging from $200-$500 thx in advance and this site is awsome:cool:

Technics are good. I bought one the other day. Just saving up to get the other one now!

i bought a stanton sa5 just after last christmas and i cant find any faults except it doesnt have effects (not essential but well fun) its improved my scratchin way more than i expected in a few months. basically dont settle for a shitty mixer cos it'l only hold you back. i recomend som hefty carts 2 u dont want your record skippin all over the place and it will happen when your learing cos most beginners are heavy handed. you need learn exactly what sound the record is gunna make whichever way you manipulate it 2. try watchin dmc videos an x-ecutioners, q-bert...ect good luck an keep at it bro

fuck stanton. allen and heath xone92 is the only way to go. if you play at any big club in london they will have a allen and heath xone 92 or 62. a pair of technics. if you want to scratch you need to invest in a decent cross fader or else you will never get good quality cuts

by the way shure scratch needles will do the trick. invest mony or else you will have to re invest when you get bettter

DJ zon said:
fuck stanton. allen and heath xone92 is the only way to go. if you play at any big club in london they will have a allen and heath xone 92 or 62. a pair of technics.

they're unnecessarily expensive for a beginner, and I dont think playing big london clubs is an issue

shdx1200_1.jpg

http://www.bangingtunes.com/products/view/shdx1200/

these are cool,

DJ zon said:
fuck stanton. allen and heath xone92 is the only way to go. if you play at any big club in london they will have a allen and heath xone 92 or 62. a pair of technics. if you want to scratch you need to invest in a decent cross fader or else you will never get good quality cuts
The 62 and 92 are not very good for scratching, especially the 62. Changing the crossfader might improve its reliability, but it won't improve the curve. Like Mesh said, I don't think playing in big London clubs is an issue right now.

Mesh: that Technics mixer is notoriously unreliable, which is why they go so cheap these days. Personally, for a beginner scratcher I would go with DJ Rocca's recommendation, the Stanton SA5. It's obviously not up to Rane standards but its still a very popular mixer for scratch DJs

:)

mad_dave said:
Mesh: that Technics mixer is notoriously unreliable, which is why they go so cheap these days. Personally, for a beginner scratcher I would go with DJ Rocca's recommendation, the Stanton SA5. It's obviously not up to Rane standards but its still a very popular mixer for scratch DJs

:)

good advice mate, although my friend has caned one of them for the last 4 or so years with no probs, but it is an issue to be aware of for sure.

Buy secondhand Technics 1200 or 1210, a secondhand mixer two channel mixer (Stanton, Vestax, Technics) and new needles (Shure...) and you're sorted.

Talking about Rane and Allen & Heath is not noticing that his budget is $200-$500 and he is a beginner.

You do not buy a Lambo to learn how to drive. :lol:

Edit: But a Vestax 2000 blows Technics out of the water for scratching and they're really the pros choice...

DJ zon said:
allen and heath xone92 is the only way to go.
the guy wants to do this on a budget...grab a Numark, 2 channel adjustable fade, will be approx $100-120 and will last u long enough to get started...get second hand technics, but get someone who knows their dex to come along...start cheap , u might find you hate Djaying !!!!

El Prophet said:
thats my mixer:drums: it used to be the best mixer i scratched on until i went on a BEHRINGER VMX200 the crossfaders a bit fucked up for mixing but for scratching its the lightest iv ever seen, plus there only £100 good for starting on
Behringer have a shit sound...won't touch any of their kit, even if it it is good VFM :nurr_nur:

ne way its better to learn to scratch on learner dex cause then when u go on decent dex scratch even better,one of the scratch perverts learned on really old numark beltdrives so when he went on to top end tables he ripped it:twitch:

I also use a pair of PDX2000's (my mate brought them 4 years ago now [I had em off him a couple of months ago for £100 the pair, bargain!] and they're still the best decks I've ever used, Stanton 8150's a close second) with Qbert sig Ortofon Concorde carts through a Stanton SMX501 mixer (with my computer + DSS DJ on channel 3). It's not the best setup in the world but great for learning on and not too expensive altogether.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom