Earplugs

lokki

JUNGLIST FROM DEYA
VIP Junglist
not sure if this is for waffle or general....

I just seen some (what i think are) decent ear plugs on Chem Records and might pick some up. Been thinking about it for a while and to be honest i do think my hearing is getting effected a fair bit now... its hard to tell, but i always get in trouble for having the TV up too loud when i think its fine. etc.

anyone had any experience with buying earplugs?

Are the ones on chem recs site any good ..

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=ALPLUGS

I don't have any experience with those plugs at Chemical, but in general I can't recommend plugs highly enough.

I have been doing live sound and studio work for a while, and beyond maintaining sensible levels, ear plugs are your best defense against tinnitus and other forms of hearing loss.

If you can spare a little more money, go to an audiologist and get your ear cast for a custom set. You can get your hearing checked at the same time :)

I have 'Bilsom' Acoustic ones, which I get for £3 a pr in Sweden, you can get em in Richer Sounds (and possibly Boots) for around a £10. I always wear them @ Brknk, and pretty much every club I go to.

'Noise Attenuation', like on the one you link is what you need to look for...It cuts all frequencies equally, so you hear a slightly quieter but much cleaner sound. I really prefer the sound, and when you get used to them, you can really hear the distortion of the frequencies / volumes that yr ear can't handle.

No more having people shout in yr ears and still not understand em. Almost back to normal conversation levels.

Im off to Bristol tomoro so will pick some up and try em out whilst seeing Murderbot. (good test!)

I just know that my hearing is getting damaged and at the minute im at at least one night a week so it cant be good for my ears… and I am terrified of loosing my hearing! That would be the fucking end of me!

Can you mix with them in?

Cheers!

most of the A-listers do...

You actually hear what's going on better / cleaner, just at a slightly lower volume.

I'm sure Boots do em.

Well worth checkin.

I've also read in a few places that Gingko Biloba can help improve low level tinnitus...

will just use this thread to let off some steam about the fact I've just lost one of my £150 custom made earpluds.

Too depressed to even write 'AAAAAAAaaaaargh'.

Been ill for the last few years in a way that seems to make my ears way more susceptable to damage. Not remotely able to afford another pair. Looks like I wont be able to go to a D&B night for the forseeable future.

Shitting-arse-wanks.

ps: I got permanent tinnitus at the end, while wearing those Bilsom plugs. Not too impressed with them really.

Can't recommend hearing protection highly enough.

RNID runs a "Don't Lose The Music" campaign, dontlosethemusic.com - I got a t-shirt from them in an ebay auction (they run them every so often; proceeds from the sales go back to them to continue their charity work). Also got a load of promotional material from them which I've been putting up round my uni - get some funny looks from other people on my course but I just can't stress to them enough just how much I value my hearing, and you only get it once (as all the other wise people on this thread know too!)

If you're part of the Musicians' Union, I believe you can get a fair portion off the cost of getting custom-fitted earplugs - all the top DJs have them, I intend to get a pair as soon as I can afford it, because I just know that whilst I've found the best way of getting these other foam earplugs I have to stay as much in my ears as possible, they don't provide as even an attenuation of all the frequency spectrum as the custom-fitted ones do. Gotta sort that out asap!

Last edited:
I don't wear ear plugs at the moment but I have got a hat which slips over my ears & dampens the sound very well but I would highly recommend getting hold of some. There are a few people in D&bwhich have had problems with their hearing so be aware ithappens to everyone!

I've tried foam ones, ER-20's, and some custom molded ones (about £50, not the really expensive ones the big Dj's wear), and I don't think any of them are suitable for mixing, however they have all been great for cutting out the harshness in clubs (y)

So next, I'd like to get some of these £150 ones that the big Dj's wear, cause I'd love to wear some while mixing. Anyone know where I can get them?

dido.

i usually where ear plugs everytime i go out. Most of my friends are a bit older and from early in my day i have been advised by good people who encouraged ear plugs. (especially at the gritty punk shows)

As far as my home mixing / studio, volume control is where its at. Keeping levels balanced and below distortion is always your ears best advantage.

Earplugs are a no brainer! If you don't use them you'll start saying stupid things like, "128kbps MP3s are the best soundquality that humans can hear." A famous near def DJ once wrote something to that effect on the Discogs.com boards.

People who don't ware earplugs are just simply not music fans.

I have some of that too, its lots of fun. Why is it that the sound is so loud in clubs/concerts?

Who knows? Breakneck sounds great in the first couple of hours and then it just gets louder and louder and louder. Despite being pretty well up on dnb I find myself sticking my finger in one ear just to recognise a tune I've heard 50 times. This thread has definitely convinced me to invest in some earplugs because I strive to attend Portsmouth dnb as much as possible and it is fucking me up, hearing wise. Music is my life (apart from work) and the thought that it could be compromised over the years is hideous to me. That Nine Bar bass is so, so nice though. :gslayer:

Who knows? Breakneck sounds great in the first couple of hours and then it just gets louder and louder and louder. Despite being pretty well up on dnb I find myself sticking my finger in one ear just to recognise a tune I've heard 50 times. This thread has definitely convinced me to invest in some earplugs because I strive to attend Portsmouth dnb as much as possible and it is fucking me up, hearing wise. Music is my life (apart from work) and the thought that it could be compromised over the years is hideous to me. That Nine Bar bass is so, so nice though. :gslayer:

I won't go near the sound system without my plugs in. Although Nine Bar is soo clean, which I think means it can be louder without damage.

It's loud harsh, untuned systems that worry me most (and used to hurt most before earplugs).

Back
Top Bottom