DNB beats - need help!

DJTransit

Hello all, I'm new here at the forum, so cut me some slack if this quesiton has already be asked an answered. I need help coming up with drum n bass beats. I use FL Studio 6, and it works amazingly, but i just can't seem to get beats the way I want them to sound. Any reccomendations on technique, products? Anything will be helpful - thanks.

Wrong section mate, should be in the proudction section. Have you downloaded a shit load of samples? That will help, also try layering many samples to make a better sounding sample. For example, you could add a clap to your snare to make it sound funkier, high contrast often uses this technique.

Good ideas, my apologies for having the wrong section. As for layering, what I've found might work is taking the kick and snare (leaving the hats, rimshots, and cymbals) out of one full loop of beats and putting an entire extra drumset on top of it to give the beat with the "oomph" a lot more background and flow. I suppose what will help me best though is simply downloading a lot more samples and working with a wider variety of sounds ... thanks for the advice!

THIS IS THE PRODUCTION SECTION!!!

but yea mate, as you say layering is the way to go, and cutting out the kick and snare, drop your own kick in, boost the gain at about 115hz and again at about 3000 - 5000 or some where around there, will make your kick hard and give it some color, oh and cut the low end at 100 so it wont interfere with the sub bass, as for the snare cut the low at 150 then boost the gain at 183 and again at about 6000 , this all a bit of a rough giude you need to play around with things a bit. learn as much as you can about eqing, because it makes all the difference when it comes to drums,and everything else for that matter. make sure you compress your snare

as for the sample break try getting an enveloper and cutting the reverb, this makes it a bit tighter leaving room for all your bass sounds and fx and what have you, then cut the low end right out of it, until it sits nice in the mix, maybe boost the mid range to make it a bit warmer and less tinny.

but yea mate, as you say layering is the way to go, and cutting out the kick and snare, drop your own kick in, boost the gain at about 115hz and again at about 3000 - 5000 or some where around there, will make your kick hard and give it some color, oh and cut the low end at 100 so it wont interfere with the sub bass, as for the snare cut the low at 150 then boost the gain at 183 and again at about 6000 , this all a bit of a rough giude you need to play around with things a bit. learn as much as you can about eqing, because it makes all the difference when it comes to drums,and everything else for that matter. make sure you compress your snare

as for the sample break try getting an enveloper and cutting the reverb, this makes it a bit tighter leaving room for all your bass sounds and fx and what have you, then cut the low end right out of it, until it sits nice in the mix, maybe boost the mid range to make it a bit warmer and less tinny.

:word:

dont worry mate you'll get there in the end!!!

:orly: where in fl studio can you do this ... not seen anything that offers you to be able to work with this... in the mixer is it ?? ... sry for the noob question ... but you gotta learn ..

cut the low end at 100 ?? ... how do you know when its at 100 ... where are these magic numbers which a man can adjust ??? ... help please ... :violin:

use a parametric eq, the numbers are the frequencys ;)

if you use parametric eq 2, hover the mouse over the coloured points and it will show you the frequency, move them points left or right to adjust the freq

heres a basic example of the guidelines darkist suggested for the snare.....

29puhhz.jpg

like he said tho, its just a rough guide, all depends on the sounds you start with and the sound youre after

Wicked info boys! Agree with ethix. Not at home right now, but wish i was now i,m armed with some new knowledge.

Another idea for making dnb drum patterns is to use FPC on fl. This is the drum machine. Load up one of the many dnb patterns. The drums sound a bit accoustic but that dont matter. When you look at the pattern in the piano loop, it is all set out with the name of each instrument and the pattern. Then simply add your own phat sounding beats on the piano loop over the pattern. Make sure you have ghost notes switched on in the piano loop options.

peace:rowley:

Back
Top Bottom