D-Kay - It's On The Way/Space Quest

noisemonkey

Soul;r bringing some smooth grooves yet again on this liquid laden bit of wax. The a-side stomps away with a catchy synth and some rigid 2 step beats. This is balanced against a fairly funky low bass and harmonised synth work. A rolling track but doesn't really have much in the way of impact to speak of. The vocal of the title track does go some way towards solving this as it gives the track a bit more focus. A good tune if you running out or have to fill in for someone if they turn up late.

Space Quest on the other hand is the best thing that I've heard by D-Kay by a long way. Using plenty of cunning change ups in the drums and some stunning atmospheric sweeping synths this track rolls along with devastating understated effect. The intro brings back the bongos as some good analogue action is brought alongside with some breaks snaking their way in to view. This is one of those ultimate play at dawn or dusk kind of tracks with it's contrast between dark and light. A pleasing bit of sub action keeps things moving at the bottom end whilst the percussion rolls overhead at quite a pace. Worth buying for this track alone although I'm not sure why this track wasn't on the a-side.

Last edited:
noisemonkey said:
Soul;r bringing some smooth grooves yet again on this liquid laden bit wax. The a-side stomps away with a catchy synth and some rigid 2 step beats. This is balanced against a fairly funky low bass and harmonised synth work. A rolling track but doesn't really have much in the way of impact to speak of. The vocal of the title track does go some way towards solving this as it gives the track a bit more focus. A good tune if you running out or have to fill in for someone if they turn up late.

Space Quest on the other hand is the best thing that I've heard by D-Kay by a long way. Using plenty of cunning change ups in the drums and some stunning atmospheric sweeping synths this track rolls along with devastating understated effect. The intro brings back the bongos as some good analogue action is brought alongside with some breaks snaking their way in to view. This is one of those ultimate play at dawn or dusk kind of tracks with it's contrast between dark and light. A pleasing bit of sub action keeps things moving at the bottom end whilst the percussion rolls overhead at quite a pace. Worth buying for this track alone although I'm not sure why this track wasn't on the a-side.

Word. :2thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom